Book Review: The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

Sunday, 24 August 2014 05:01
Title: The Name of the Wind (The KingKiller Chronicle, #1)
Author: Patrick Rothfuss
Publication Date: March 27th, 2007
Genre: High fantasy
Rating: A galaxy full of stars.

“Words are pale shadows of forgotten names. As names have power, words have power. Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts.” 

Often, I’m at a loss for words when I need them most. Why is it so difficult to express how much you love something? I cannot even begin to describe how epically amazing this book is. ‘Epic’ and ‘amazing’ don’t even begin the cover it. I cannot tell you how much I love this book. But I will try.

If anyone can narrate beautifully, like the wind through the trees, it's Mr.Rothfuss. If anyone can make you want to learn an instrument just by reading someone else playing it, it’s Mr.Rothfuss. (I've never felt this before but I really want to learn to play the lute!) If anyone can create a hero so real and so flawed and yet completely brilliant, it’s none other than Mr.Rothfuss. All hail the mighty Patrick Rothfuss!

Now, you might think that you’ve read your fair share of high fantasy novels. You might even be a connoisseur in the realm of high fantasy but if you haven’t read the Name of the Wind, then honestly what have you been doing your entire life? 

This book is undoubtedly one of the best books I’ve ever read. It is one of my favourites. Kvothe, is undoubtedly one of the best characters in the entire world of fiction. And I would marry him in a heartbeat if he were real. Sigh. The writing just flows (despite a few typos) and the story is very gripping. AND I LOVE THIS BOOK. I LOVE KVOTHE. A LOT. I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS BOOK!

Let me settle down a bit. Right, where were we?

A world famous hero in now an innkeeper. What? Why? How? You want your questions answered? READ THE BOOK NOW! Okay, let me calm myself down. Again.

The story starts off quite slowly giving you time to adjust with the writing style, the characters, the new world you’re introduced to. Kote is an innkeeper, nothing special about him. But peer closer, you’ll know something is missing from him. He was Kvothe, the world's most notorious arcanist, a hero. He was the one who slew dragons and stole princesses. He was the epic-ness everyone was talking about. 

After a lot of creepy events, Chronicler, a famous scribe stumbles upon Kote and it is then decided that he is going to record Kvothe’s life, the true version of it. And so begins the breath-taking tale filled with awesome sauce, amazeballs and pure epic-ness.

The characters are well-built and very enjoyable to read about. My favourites apart from Kvothe are Bast, Elodin and Denna! You know, sometimes I wish I was Bast. (Bast is Kvothe's student. A very intriguing character who has a lot of secrets!) In that way, I'll have the best master ever! 

I snorted with laughter, cried like a baby, marvelled at the epic-ness and overall had the best time reading this book!

There's everything you could hope for in this book. 
Want a good story? Read this book! 
Want a main character to fall in love with? Read this book! 
Want a dragon and a boarding school filled with magic and mystery? Read this book! 
And most importantly, do you want to completely and irrevocably lose yourself in the blissfulness only a book can give? GO AND READ THIS BOOK NOW!


Hershey