Book Review: Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol

Friday, 26 September 2014 21:50

Title: Anya's Ghost
Author: Vera Brosgol
Genres: Graphic novel, children's
Publication Date: June 7th, 2011
Rating: 2.5 stars


Review:

Well, this was quite enjoyable and yet at the same time quite disappointing, I guess.

To start off with the positives, what I really loved about Anya's Ghost is its artwork and colour scheme. I loved how each and every page was in light shades of purple, white and black. I love such gloomy themes.



I don't know what else to add to the positives or the negatives, to be honest because on the whole this was an okay read for me. I didn't like or dislike the characters and the same goes for the story line.

You know something all of us fail to realize? We are awesome as we are. Our biggest flaw is that we try to hide that awesomeness for god know's why! Anya could have been cool and awesome if she didn't yearn to be thin like all the other popular girls and wanted all the good looking guys. Come on, nobody these days fall for looks! Personality matters, Anya.


I still think she looks pretty, both ways.

I don't know why she hated herself, her mom, her friend and people who actually try to be nice to her. Then, she whines that she has no friends and wants friends who are 'popular'. She was extremely hypocritical and boring and had no uniqueness to her.

However, I really liked the Ghost. I feel like the ghost was the only character in this story that actually had some personality. I don't care if its actions were evil or not, this particular character had substance. It advised Anya, it had opinions for god's sake! Anya, on the other hand, had none and was extremely bitter and acted like a cow. A bad one, since I like cows that have four feet.



I didn't really care for the story. It was okay and it left me feeling nothing. I would have liked it to end in a different way, though. I think the only character that left an impression on me is the Ghost. Maybe, I would remember this book because of Anya's ghost and not Anya herself and thank god this book was rightly named!

Hershey