Book Review: The Young Elites by Marie Lu

Sunday, 19 October 2014 21:03

Title: The Young Elites
Author: Marie Lu
Genres: Dark fantasy, young adult
Publication Date: October 7th, 2014
Rating: All the stars in the galaxy

I am tired of being used, hurt, and cast aside.


Adelina Amouteru is a survivor of the blood fever. A decade ago, the deadly illness swept through her nation. Most of the infected perished, while many of the children who survived were left with strange markings. Adelina’s black hair turned silver, her lashes went pale, and now she has only a jagged scar where her left eye once was. Her cruel father believes she is a malfetto, an abomination, ruining their family’s good name and standing in the way of their fortune. But some of the fever’s survivors are rumored to possess more than just scars—they are believed to have mysterious and powerful gifts, and though their identities remain secret, they have come to be called the Young Elites.

Teren Santoro works for the king. As Leader of the Inquisition Axis, it is his job to seek out the Young Elites, to destroy them before they destroy the nation. He believes the Young Elites to be dangerous and vengeful, but it’s Teren who may possess the darkest secret of all. 

Enzo Valenciano is a member of the Dagger Society. This secret sect of Young Elites seeks out others like them before the Inquisition Axis can. But when the Daggers find Adelina, they discover someone with powers like they’ve never seen. 

Adelina wants to believe Enzo is on her side, and that Teren is the true enemy. But the lives of these three will collide in unexpected ways, as each fights a very different and personal battle. But of one thing they are all certain: Adelina has abilities that shouldn’t belong in this world. A vengeful blackness in her heart. And a desire to destroy all who dare to cross her.

Review:



MY PRECIOUS! Where have you been all my life, my precious?

The Young Elites is a concoction of rich settings, dark flavours of fantasy, outstanding characterizations, smooth, honey-like writing style and a dash of sexiness. It stole my breath away from the very beginning. The best thing about this book (to be honest, there are a lot of great things about this book but I will narrow it down for you) is its characters.

Aren't you bored of reading the same old goody characters who fight for what is right and they're so good, kind and selfless that sometimes you find it hard to believe and relate to? Aren't you yearning for someone different? Don't you want to know the story of someone who is not kind and selfless and good?

Meet Adelina Amouteru, the best female lead character I've ever read about.

"I belong to no one. On this night, I swear to you that I will rise above everything you’ve ever taught me. I will become a force that this world has never known. I will come into such power that none will dare hurt me again."


It feels so good to keep reading those words. It feels so good that someone can accept their powers without having the sole motive of using it for good only. Oh, I tell you, it feels extremely good!



"It is pointless to believe what you see, if you only see what you believe."


The Summary

A disease has ravaged Adelina's nation and left victims called the malfettos. These malfettos have weird markings on their body which separates them from others who have come unscathed from the disease. And some of these malfettos possess inhuman powers, powers that the rest of the humans extremely fear and revere. They are called the Young Elites and none of them, including the malfettos who don't possess inhuman powers, are treated well.

When Adelina's evil and torturous father pushes her too far, she decides to leave her little sister Violetta and her father and abandon the place she once called home. She wants freedom, she yearns for someone to tell her she's a darling little girl and not torture her with cruel words and actions everyday of her life. But not everything turns out the way she had planned. Terrible things happen, things that changes Adelina's life forever.

Enzo is the leader of the Dagger society, a group of the Young Elites and rightful heir to the throne. He will do anything to get the throne. And like all stories have someone opposing the rightful heir, Teren will do anything to make sure that the queen rules the nation.

And now, I shall stop here with the summary and let your desirous heart get curiouser and curiouser until you can no longer bear it and grab a copy of this book.

The Characters

Let me tell you more about my favourite character of all time.

"I know who you really are. Who will ever want you, Adelina?
My fury heightens. Everyone. They will cower at my feet, and I will make them bleed."


Adelina is a badass fire-cracker. I mean, come one, don't you love those wonderful words she said? She's just perfect. According to me, perfection is a quality that comprises one's flaws. Adelina is an extremely flawed and a unique character. She's not your typical young adult main character. She's likedark chocolate. She has dark desires and motives. Not everyone can love her sweet and bitter self.

The Young Elites were completely fascinating. I was so excited to discover each and everyone's powers and was also very curious to know their limitations. The characters in this book are unique and very intriguing. I just wanted to keep reading more and more about them. This whole book is completely fascinating!



I have to say that the description of these characters reminded me so much of anime/manga characters. I pictured them as anime with more sharp and refined features. How I love creating scenarios in my head!

Marie Lu has weaved an outstanding story with extraordinary characters, both of which I will never forget any time soon. I was hooked. I was addicted. I was smitten. I was hypnotized. I was obsessed. I went head-over-heels. I laughed. I cried. I gasped. Basically, I died in a pool of happiness.

This book was a thrilling roller-coaster ride in the dark, an epic unforgettable ride I will always relish! And I suggest you better get on this ride too or you're missing some very amazing things in life.


(The girl is me and the white haired boy is this book.) You better keep it safe!


Hershey