Book Review: A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J Maas

Monday, 23 May 2016 04:02
Title: A Court of Mist and Fury
Author: Sarah J Maas
Publication Date: May 3rd, 2016
Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy
Rating: 2 of 5 stars

Book, you have wounded me. You have deceived me. You have tricked me into thinking you were a precious gem. Book, you have disappointed me.



I had a lot of expectations for ACOMAF. Rhysand? The Night Court? Power and Politics? Don’t say more because I am hooked already. Also, the glowing reviews I read increased my excitement for this book and I was prepared to love this book. I was prepared to be hypnotized by Maas’s rich writing style. I was prepared to fangirl hard over this book.

The first few chapters made me even more confident that this was going to be an amazing read indeed. I loved how Maas cleverly tricked us into accepting the love triangle by making Tamlin an annoying control freak. I loved how Rhysand whisked Feyre away and introduced her to the Night Court and I was so sure that everything was going to be spectacular.


Think of this book as a firecracker I purchased. I’m excited to watch it fill the night sky with bright, brilliant colours. It looks tempting in its beautiful packaging and I cannot wait for it to light up the dark sky. So, when night falls I try to light it. And nothing happens. I try again but nothing happens and all I get is a faint spark and it immediately fizzles out. 

This analogy perfectly explains my time with ACOMAF. When Rhysand arrived, that was the faint spark indicating that at any time it might explode meaning that at any time I might start screaming in happiness. But then as the pages were turned, my happiness and excitement vanished and those large spaces were filled with ennui. And as more pages were turned I succumbed to despair because I did not want to finish this book, I couldn't put myself through another four hundred pages but somehow I did hoping that things will change.

Initially, I was excited with where this book was going. I liked how Tamlin become a control freak and I liked how I hated him even more. The love triangle irked me a lot but I tried my best to push those thoughts away. 

When Rhysand whisked Feyre away, that’s when things started abruptly changing for me. I felt like I had read books like this before. There are countless books where the hot, enigmatic guy whisks the MC away and slowly she falls for him. But you might contradict me by saying, ‘There were other things too like her powers!’ But her powers weren't enough for me to like this book. The magic system described in this book did not intrigue me. It only bored me and more often than not, I found myself like this:



Feyre constantly acting like a Mary Sue did not help the situation at all. I understand that she never really loved Tamlin. I understand that she likes Rhysand. But despite my understanding, I cannot fathom why this book is different from the rest of the books out there. Hasn't this kind of thing already happened before? 

To be honest, I felt like this book was an amalgamation of several other novels out there. The fact that Feyre can detect pieces of the ancient book is so very similar to the Fever series where Mac can detect the Sinsar Dubh (a book filled with dark magic) when it is near. The side characters weren't interesting and I don’t think they played a big role in this book. This book was mainly a romance. A book about Feyre and Rhysand with a story line that revolves only around the two of them with a sprinkle of other characters and elements thrown here and there. 

I'm sorry but this ain't the kind of book I had signed up for earlier. This also might be a case of it's-not-you-it's-me. But nonetheless, this book has tricked me. And now I have a headache.


Hershey

No comments:

Post a Comment