Book Review: This Savage Song by V.E Schwab

Tuesday, 21 June 2016 01:59
Title: This Savage Song
Author: V.E Schwab
Publication Date: June 7th, 2016
Genres: Young Adult, Urban Fantasy, Paranormal
Rating: 1 of 5 stars

There’s no such thing as safe in a city at war, a city overrun with monsters. In this dark urban fantasy from author Victoria Schwab, a young woman and a young man must choose whether to become heroes or villains—and friends or enemies—with the future of their home at stake. 

What were your thoughts when you read that? The first time I read that, I was intrigued and excited. I was ready for heartbreak and all the other feels because VICTORIA SCHWAB! She can write anything and make it my next favourite book. So, after some initial squealing-in-happiness and getting-weird-looks phase, I decided to stalk this book like any normal person would do. 

Then, I came across this from the author:

Sin City PLUS Romeo and Juliet MINUS romance PLUS monsters.

You can understand how high my expectations were and how crushed I am feeling right now.

From what I gathered from the blurb and my sleuth skills, I was expecting some kind of Vicious-esque book except with teenagers as the lead characters. I was expecting this story to be ruthless, vicious and filled with action. I thought Kate and August would provide some interesting dynamics to the story because they sounded so different from the typical YA leads. She's a human who wants to be a monster and he's a monster wanting to be human. What I got instead was two surprisingly dull characters and I found myself quickly losing interest in them.


With every page sending a disappointing pang to my heart, I realized that this wasn't turning out the way I had wanted it to. In fact, I found myself skimming passages in order to get to the 'interesting' part. The main problem with this book is that there's nothing in it. If you're expecting a mind -blowing story or world building (as you naturally would if you've read Schwab's other works), you're not going to get it from this book because it has a very weak story line and despite its weakness, there isn't anything remotely original about it. Come on, don't tell me you haven't read YA books where there were two warring sides and your leads were on opposite sides? 

I thought that the lack of originality in this concept of two warring sides would be compensated by Schwab's fantastic writing style, characterisation and her touch of magic to turn this book into a masterpiece. Of course, I was wrong. Schwab's writing was okay in this, there wasn't anything special to it. I think you need to have either strong characters or a strong world building for the writing to stand out and this book had neither.

August Flynn and Kate Harker were your typical run-of-the-mill YA characters. I cannot describe how dull and boring and plain these characters where. There was absolutely nothing to them! What do I say about Kate Harker that I haven't already said before? I cannot think of one redeeming quality about August Flynn. What made them different? NOTHING. Where they at least funny or sarcastic to lighten up the atmosphere? NOPE.

To illustrate how confused and lacklustre these characters were, here's something:

"He had to help her.
He shouldn't help her.
If he did, she would know what he was.
If he didn't, she would die." 


KAY.


Filled with trite concepts and lacklustre characters, This Savage Song isn't going to go on that high pedestal reserved for Schwab's books. It probably isn't even going to sit on my other shelves for long.

Hershey

No comments:

Post a Comment